Thursday, January 26, 2012

Grandfather who plunged 40ft down ravine into river is rescued by his DOG who helped him to safety before running to pub and barking for help

  • Pensioner lay unconscious in water for 'around 15 minutes' after ground gave way
  • Grandfather-of-eight suffered six broken ribs and a head injury
  • Monty the labradoodle barked until regular at nearby pub followed him back to where his owner lay in agony

By Rob Cooper
Last updated at 1:35 PM on 26th January 2012
From The Daily Mail Today


A pensioner who plunged 40ft down a ravine into a river owes his life to his faithful dog who led him to safety before running to a nearby pub and barking until he raised the alarm.
Maurice Holder, 73, says he was knocked unconscious when the ground gave way beneath him as he walked along a steep river bank with his labradoodle Monty.
When he regained consciousness 15 minutes later he was lying in water up to his chest with a serious head wound and six broken ribs.
But Mr Holder said 11-year-old Monty had stayed loyally by his side and helped him struggle up the ravine from the River Camel in Bodmin, Cornwall.
article-2091690-11733CBB000005DC-976_634x538
'My dog saved my life': Maurice Holder, 73, said his dog Monty led him to safety after he fell 40ft down a ravine into the River Camel in Bodmin, Cornwall
When they got to level ground Monty left his owner and ran to the nearby Borough Arms where he barked until he attracted the attention of a regular, who followed him back to where Mr Holder lay in agony.
Mr Holder, a grandfather of eight who lives in Newquay, said: 'We were walking along the river. I was literally standing still with my hands in my pockets listening to the silence and the sound of the river, when suddenly the earth moved.

'There was a tremendous rumble and the whole lot came down with no warning, nothing.
'I just went down - it felt like going down in a lift really fast. I fell about 40ft and landed on a great slab. I don’t know how long I was out for, it could have been around ten to 15 minutes.

article-2091690-1173B15F000005DC-412_634x403
Plunge: Mr Holder fell around 40ft down this embankment. When he came round 11-year-old Monty was still by his side and helped him struggle back up the ravine
'I woke up and the tidal water had come up to my chest and I was aware that I was bleeding from my head. I looked around and saw Monty sitting next to me.
'I knew I was in a situation, there was only one way out and that was the way I came in.
'It was very steep. Because all the ground had fallen it was loose, but Monty found a way back up on to firm ground.'
Mr Holder, a retired sales director, said he knew it was critical he got help quickly because he had suffered a head injury.
He added: 'I find it a nice area as you don’t get hordes of people there. But after the fall I had six broken ribs and I thought I could be here for hours or days.
'Monty got me to level ground and then I just lay down to get my breath back and as I did Monty ran away.

article-2091690-1173AFD7000005DC-21_634x390
Help: A regular at the Borough Arms called an ambulance after Monty ran to the pub, barked until he raised the alarm and led the rescuer back to his owner
'He came back around 15 minutes later with a nice gentleman who helped me back to the car and an ambulance came.'
Mr Holder was taken to the Royal Cornwall Hospital where he stayed for two days and was treated for head injuries, broken ribs and cuts and bruises to his back.
He added: 'I was a bit of a fright with blood from my head down to my waist. I think the broken ribs were more painful than anything else.
'I have been back a couple of times and when I saw where it happened and how far I fell I couldn’t believe it.
'Monty is absolutely the perfect pet. I wouldn’t say he is always the best behaved but he is loyal and that is what matters - man’s best friend.'

article-2091690-11780C4E000005DC-703_634x379




No comments: